Blogmas 2015: Day 4 - Flashback Friday

So this time two years ago I was packing my suitcase, getting ready to head off to South Africa.  I can't believe that it has been two years already!!!  Time flies.  When in Africa I worked with Out of Africa Missions in a nearby township in George.  I knew that I had always wanted to go on an overseas mission trip to serve God's people but I didn't realise how much it would effect me.

I love working with children, hence why I am working towards becoming a teacher, so I was so excited to be working with the children in the township and organising a Christmas party for them.  I didn't realise that I would get so attached.  Actually I probably did but just wouldn't admit it to myself.  I met some of the most beautiful, happy, content, grateful and loving children who I often think about every day.  I miss their little smiling faces and I am always looking back at these pictures.  (Be prepared for photo overload!!!)
 
When our time in the township was up and we had to say goodbye my heart broke into thousands of pieces.  The boys and girls ran after the car shouting, waving and smiling at us, while I looked out at them, tears streaming down my face.
God taught me so much on this trip.  
I learnt not to take things for granted.  
I learnt to find joy in the little things.
I learnt to make every moment count.
I learnt to listen to what God was telling me.
I learnt to step out of my comfort zone.
I learnt that looks can be deceiving - right beside the township on the other side of the wall live some very very wealthy people living in massive houses.
I learnt that I am very blessed in many ways.
I learnt that my God is greater, stronger and higher than any other.

Coming home from Africa I left a part of my heart in that stunningly beautiful country and with all of the children that I met.  One day I hope to go back to Africa and I am so looking forward to it!  I want to leave you with the sweetest video of three girls who I became really close to. (Excuse the noise of the wind)



Love Karlene. Xo

Comments

Popular Posts