Learning To Listen

During the month of December last year,I went on an adventure I never thought would come my way - a Christ centred trip to South Africa.  

I was inspired to write this post today when I opened my daily quote calendar and it said "When we open our hearts and let God speak to us, we discover we're truly known and loved in a way we never thought possible.  The acceptance we long for is already ours if we'll dare to embrace it."  While in South Africa I was challenged to listen to God and really hear what He was telling me. 

You see I spent some of my time working in a township, in a place called Blanco.  There we spent most of our time simply playing with the children in that community and giving them our love and our company.  Usually we walked around the township to let the children know that we were there and they would pretty much follow us up to the playing field, it was very Pied Piper like.  



One particular day we went straight to the playing field and each member of my 12 person team, spread out and sat by different trees.  Slowly but surly the children realised that we were there and they came running up to each of us.  On this day rather than going straight into playing games we just sat with the children and prayed for them silently in our hearts.  My prayer was simple, something along the lines of "I pray for these children dear God, that they may grow to know you and their need for you.  Lord reveal to me the plan you have for these children." That was all I managed to say before the little girls around me started to sing song after song, starting with Open The Eyes of my Heart Lord (think back to my quote).  Then, Jesus Loves Me, This Little Light of Mine, and many more. 



I learnt in that moment to listen to God.  I opened my heart to what He was telling me.  I could hear it clearly - these girls will be okay. 
At first it may not be easy, but He can help you understand the difference between the voice in your head and His voice in your head.  I urge you to listen to God.  Open your heart and your ears to what He is trying to tell you. 



Love, Karlene.

Comments

Popular Posts